Monday, October 10, 2011

Natural Consequences

If he's anything like his parents, I'm convinced Brady will only learn through his own mistakes. With that said, we keep preaching and correcting. We also embrace the opportunity to say, "I told you so," when he suffers the natural consequences of his actions.

Bailey has bitten Brady a few times, and through his tears we heartlessly explain that's what happens when you keep smacking or kicking dogs in the face. At Aunt Becky's house, he chased the cat under the bed. The cat felt trapped, hissed and used her back foot (and only) claws to scratch Brady's face. I'd like to think he's learned a lesson, but as I write I'm reminded of how he started hissing like a cat. When I ask him what he's doing, he says, "I'm being a funny guy."

In an effort to teach Brady to doggy paddle this summer, we put him in a life vest and threw him in the pool. Again... I felt guilty for being a little heartless. This traumatized him to the point where he's terrified of life vests. He breaks down into a massive panic when we put his AWANA vest on at church because he's afraid vest = trauma.

Today, we went in the backyard to play. I was on the phone with a pool repairman and Brady fell in the pool. I jumped in and pulled him out immediately. He was okay, but obviously shaken. I put the life vest on him, threw him back in the water 3 times and made him swim to the edge. With each swim, he kept crying, but he lost the panic stricken tension. Again, I was hoping he would learn in the moment. Here's his video quiz on the matter:

In happier news, at dinner at Rockwell's last night, the manager came out at the end of the meal to ask if it's Brady that she's been listening to. For the last hour she had sat in her office and giggled at the sound of his laugh. It's a great laugh, so here's a random laughing video.

Lastly, Anna Belle's 1st tooth debuted last week and today I noticed a second tooth. Time marches on...

No comments: